Study: Fleet electrification

Deutsch


According to a new study by industry group Eurelectric and Ernst & Young (EY), electrification of public and private fleets would save around half of all road transport emissions in Europe. This would be a major boost to the EU's climate goal and revolutionise clean mobility in Europe. Road transport is responsible for almost a quarter of Europe's total greenhouse gas emissions. If these are reduced by 10 percent per year, Europe has a very good chance of meeting its 2030 target and paving the way for a 90 percent reduction in transport-related greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. E-mobility, fuelled by carbon neutral and renewable energy, can be the key. Customers, whether private or corporate, can begin to understand the value of an e-vehicle over an internal combustion engine vehicle.


However, there are certain requirements that need to be met: Car manufacturers need to ramp up production of e-vehicles, reduce purchase costs and improve vehicle availability, choice and range. The European Commission calls for at least 30 million zero-emission cars and 80,000 zero-emission trucks to be in operation by 2030. To incentivise investment in infrastructure for plug-in vehicles to become mainstream, standards are needed for both hardware (plugs and cables) and communication software. Common standards for charging solutions will further enhance the driving experience and eliminate the need for an assortment of cables and adapters. Another point raised by the group is fleet prioritisation. Prioritising the fleet segment will ensure the greatest and fastest overall impact. Fleets account for 20 percent of all vehicles in Europe but travel disproportionately more kilometers and emit disproportionately more carbon dioxide. The lessons learned from fleets and the resulting value are transferable to other segments that are undergoing change.


A supporting ecosystem will grow in parallel with the introduction of electric vehicles. The Group expects it to unlock significant commercial value for early movers who participate in e-mobility and actively facilitate customers' transition to electric vehicles. Digitalisation is even more important as it is becoming an indispensable driver for modernising the entire system to make it seamless and more efficient, while further reducing emissions. Finally, the group calls for an acceleration of the transition. The faster e-mobility takes hold, the sooner we can exploit the synergies between the energy and transport sectors. The greater the environmental and societal value we unlock, the more likely we are to achieve our long-term decarbonisation goals.


Related link: Further Links: Eurelectric & EY: Accelerating fleet

Brussels Office

Avenue Michel-Ange 69
1000 Brussels, Belgium
Phone: +32 (0) 2 734 1562

Berlin Office

Leipziger Platz 8

Mailbox: Erna-Berger-Str. 5

10117 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49 (0) 30 95 998 648
Fax: +49 (0) 30 39 840 080

  • White Twitter Icon
  • White LinkedIn Icon
  • White Facebook Icon

©2021 by EAC European Automobile Clubs.